Saturday, September 24, 2005

Heading into Lake Charles


Still no phone service as we slowly make our way into town. I have the TV plugged into the my converter and I'm picking up KPLC. I'm also scanning radio stations trying to get definite word about the state of things at home. Phil Becker somehow makes my cellphone ring and I ask him to call Brent Manuel to notify the Fire Department that the roads are being cleared. I also ask him to call Erin and the boys to let them know we are okay and on the way into Lake Charles. What word is filtering through the media reports is grim. Downed power lines, debris everywhere, and high water. Beyond that, no details. As we make interstate we can't really tell very much since the wind and rain still obscure our view. As we make our way down 210 we see debris from Circuit City and those buildings nearly a mile away. Our first clear view is of the Econo Lodge area, which is underwater.

No comments: