Thursday, October 06, 2005

Hackberry Trip





We went to Hackberry today. We were originally trying to drive down to Hollybeach to check on a friend's camp but were told that we couldn't get that far. As we drove down Highway 27, we found a checkpoint a few miles south of Sulphur. I realized that I hadn't taken any pictures of checkpoints that we had here in Lake Charles, so I decided to post this one. Based upon what we saw in Hackberry I can't even begin to imagine what Hollybeach and Constance Beach must look like. Again, there were many dead cows, some impaled on barbed wire fences. They must have become trapped there as the storm surge was driving them towards higher land. Mobile homes were completely destroyed, in many places there was very little left on the land where they once stood. There were lots of displaced boats, and of course many damaged cars, vans, and trucks. While you did see tree damage, most of the damage we saw here was caused by wind. I'll post as many pictures here as I can until I lose my internet connection again.

No comments: