Saturday, September 24, 2005

Day's End

Peter and I did some quick patchwork to different houses then headed home to set up. Minutes after setting up the generator the circuits blew and we can't get them reset. It's going to be a night with no water and no electricity. Nights here are surreal. You get lost on Nelson because you are so accustomed to seeing lights, familiar sights, etc. that without them you quickly lose your bearing. One neighbor here stayed and slept through the storm. Another neighbor just returned and is cleaning out freezers. What we have no room for we put on ice or refridgerate. What we can't eat we give away. Tonight we had Alaskan King Crabs which beats the peanuts and pecan twirls we were living on.

This night was the worst I ever remember. We went to bed exhausted and filthy. It was so hot I could hardly breathe, much less sleep. There was no way to get comfortable, there was nowhere to go. We have to get this generator fixed or I'll just sleep in the car. We can't do this again.

What makes it worse is knowing that when we wake there is no water, we can't shower, we can't clean. I wish I had filled all the tubs and sinks before we'd left.

No comments: